Hogan Chenin Blanc 2017 Case
100% Chenin Blanc
VINIFICATION & VITICULTURAL DETAILS
The Chenin blanc grapes were handpicked in early February from old, bush vines, planted on decomposed granite from Joubertskloof in Swartland, delivering only 2 tons/ha. The vineyard block is irrigated and is south-east facing which contributes to the favourably low pH. After picking, the grapes were then cooled overnight to 8 degrees celcius and hand-sorted the next day followed by a gentle whole bunch press. No sulphur or any other additions were made to the must at pressing. Natural fermentation took place in 225L and 300L French oak barrels followed by natural malolactic fermentation (after which the wine received the first sulphur addition). The wine was racked off the gross lees in October 2017. It was then matured on the fine lees until bottling at the end of the year. No acid additions were made to this wine: maintaining the natural acidity is one of the key components in the making of this wine.
Total acidity: 5.6g/l
Residual sugar: 1.7g/l
- Tim Atkin South Africa 2018 Special report: September 2018: 94/100
- Neal Martin August 2018: 92/100, Platter’s Guide 2019: 4.5 stars
- Winemag.co.za: Christian Eedes October 2018: 93/100
- Anthony Mueller for Wine Advocate (Robertparker.com) October 2019: 92/100
- Old Mutual Trophy Wine Show: September 2020: 95 points (Gold winner)
Free shipping in South Africa.
For international sales, please contact us directly for a shipping quote.